Pages

January 24, 2013

Significantly Less Metal in My Mouth!

Here are the torture tools lined up on January 11th! I was slowly lowered back in the chair, worried and ready to get this over with. You'd think after 2.5 years I would be anxious to get my braces removed, but I was really nervous. My brother had to get a filling after his were taken off. I guess this is a good time to mention that I have an irrational fear about getting my teeth drilled. I could hardly sleep the night before the big day.

*fires the starter's pistol* They're off! It really wasn't as bad as I thought. The worst part was having the cement removed from every tooth. I had to close my eyes and reluctantly keep my mouth open. After two hours I had a couple x-rays taken, retainers bonded to the back of my teeth, and one tooth repaired with a resin seal. It was pretty cool seeing my lower brackets still in one piece.

After taking pictures of my teeth, I sat there drooling with a mouthful of blue goop. (used to take molds of your teeth) The ladies were having a hard time finding a tray that fit my mouth just right. As I waited for impression #4 to harden, my orthodontist informed me that my wisdom teeth should be taken out soon. *ahem* That's another thing I'm scared stiff about!

When it was time to go to bed that night I felt really weird. I forgot how to sleep without constant pressure on my teeth. I pretty much cried for an hour straight. I was like a mother longing for her baby to be born, and then wanting to put it back inside of her! lol That happens all the time, right? I'm pretty sure it's not possible for a braces patient to have Postpartum depression. ;) 

In my deprived state of mine I actually said, "Mom, I miss my braces." I laugh at that statement now. Trust me, I don't miss them enough to have them put back on!

A week later I picked up my Hawley and Essix retainers! It has taken a while for me to feel comfortable sleeping in these bad boys. Most mornings I still want to gag if I say a large amount of words at once. That's always fun. I'm wondering what will happen when my name changes someday. Hmmm...

Farewell braces, it was fun while it lasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make me Smile :)