Pages

January 17, 2013

One Word: Reflect

I must say that I love going for walks! There are times you just have to clear your mind, you know? I would love to have someone to hike with. If any of my friends would like to come along, I'm down with that! But for now, It's just me and the Lord hanging out in the woods.

On this particular day, I was trying to stick around a mother with a stroller. That's not creepy at all! Unknown buddy systems are cool! Eventually, she started to jog, and I watched as my bubble of protection faded over the hill.

I stared at the water for quite a while. Seriously, it looked even better in person. It's a good feeling when you remember to bring your camera along!

With the start of 2013, we all have looked back on the previous year. It's good to reflect. It gives us reason to praise God for what he has done. Reflection also gives us recognition that He has the power to change the not so good areas in our lives. Don't be too proud to admit this. We all have things we can work on.

However, I would love to see another kind of reflection in my life this year. Last night I was introduced to One Word 356. The idea is to take one word, any word, and make that your focus for the year.

I already knew what my word would be. There was no use in trying to fight it.

Reflect 
to show the image of; mirror.
to make apparent; express or manifest.

When I glanced at the reflection in the water I immediately knew of the beauty displayed in the sky behind me. That's the thing about God's creation. It always points back to it's beautiful creator.

We are included in that last statement. He created us too! How great would it be if we all made the choice to reflect His beauty in our everyday lives? I want it to be obvious that I am a follower of Christ.

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18

When we look into the mirror of God's Word, we need to have a heart that is ready. Oh boy, that is convicting. As you read that last section of Scripture, or sat in that church service were you ready for Him to change you to be like his Son? A lot of times we can fall into the trap of being apathetic. We put a big check mark over our time spent with God. Often thinking, "There. It's done, what's next?" Let me be the first to tell you that is a dangerous place to be. We might be showing obedience outwardly, but submission and obedience go hand in hand.

Are you following Jesus because it's what you're supposed to do, or are you following Him because you love Him? Submission is a matter of the heart. When you enjoy Christ, it will promote action in your life!

Now, don't expect me to be able to reach this goal on my own. I cannot reflect the Lord without His help!
Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. Take away Jesus, and I'm only reflecting myself.

I admire David's prayer regarding his spiritual appearance found in Psalm 17:15. He says, "I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness."

There are many people that we can pattern our lives after, but none compare to reflecting Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make me Smile :)