Pages

December 18, 2012

There Aren't Words...

I'm sure you have heard about the awful events that played out last Friday. I have been meaning to post about more pleasant topics, but I'm afraid this cannot be overlooked. 

I can't get it out of my mind - I work around children the just like the victims, and drive past flags the President ordered to be set at half staff. These things serve as reminders of the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary.

On Friday I was driving home from an Orthodontist visit when my Christmas music was interrupted with the news. What was my first thought? "Here we go again..." 

Shortly after I got home I realized how heartbreaking the images were! We live in a world where children cannot even go to school without the risk of being shot.

Lucy was feeling sick yesterday. After a long day at school she was starting to cry. Then, she blew her nose and saw blood. Blood?! She started freaking out. I explained to her what was happening as we got a tissue. "This is what you need to do, stay calm! It will be okay."
 
But how can you explain to a child (of the same age) what was happening when they were in Sandy Hook during the school's lockdown?  There just aren't words. I cannot imagine the images that they saw and the sounds that they heard. This isn't something that a child should have to deal with, and yet it happens to be on many plates this Christmas season. Three days after the shooting, I was glad that a tiny nose bleed was all we were dealing with.

Once again we are reminded, as a nation, to appreciate our lives and loved ones. "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." James 4:14

Many of us are searching for answers during this difficult time. 

We live in a sinful world, and it is slowly drifting farther and farther away from its Creator. Events around us are certainly not going to get better. Peace on earth happens to be a very distant element until the Prince of Peace returns.

Lord, teach us to number our days, and help us remember that you are the One in control.

I will be keeping so many of you in my prayers. What else can you do when you can't sleep at night?

Psalm 4:8 is a verse that helped me sleep when I was little. It still brings comfort to me today. "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety."



And in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth I said
For HATE is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Then rang the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor does He sleep 
(He is The Lord)
The dark shall fail, the light prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Make me Smile :)