Pages

May 9, 2012

Scrapbook Flower Tutorial

I took scrapbook paper "scraps" and turned them into flowers! I have decided that these are great for Mother's day, but you could certainly keep them for yourself too. :)

Supplies needed
Scrapbook paper
White Card stock - I used 3x5 cards to make it easy
Mod Podge - I used Glossy, but you can use Matte if you prefer.
Buttons
Embroidery floss
Wooden dowels
Ribbon
A small vase

I used some cardboard to make a template for each kind of flower. After I cut the flowers out, I used Mod Podge adhere them to the 3x5 cards. I kept each flower away from the red line because the color started to run and I didn't want pink Mod Podge. Apply a thick layer of Mod Podge over the top of each flower - this will dry clear. Make sure your brush strokes are all going the same direction.
  
Here's a photo of my flowers drying. For a finished look you can apply Mod Podge to the back of the flowers. I ended up doing this after I cut them out, but it would have been a lot easier and less messy if I would have just flipped the 3x5 card over. (You learn as you go! Haha) Note: You only have to Mod Podge the back of the base flowers, because you are building each flower with multiple pieces.

  
I picked out a few buttons from my button collection and tied on some Embroidery floss on them for some added detail.

  
Here are my flowers glued together! I used my finger to slowly bend some of the layers forward to add some dimension. This photo will hopefully help you understand which pieces need the Mod Podge applied to their backs.


Next, I glued the dowels and buttons on the flowers with some hot glue. Because the 3x5 cards have blue lines, they will show through the paper a little. This can be avoided by using plain white card stock.


I finished by cutting the dowels to the desired length and adding a bow. I found this vase at Goodwill for only 99 cents! The entire project only cost me around $2.00 to make!

1 comment:

  1. Now those are my kind of flowers! Don't make me sneeze, and last forever without watering.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make me Smile :)